There is no foolproof way to please the search engines but there are different things that you can do to make it easier for a search engine’s spider to index your site and to eventually rank your site high.
Below I list the things that most spiders, looking for fresh content, are always looking for. (It always surprises me when I hear someone say they have no spidermasters)
- If you have a site with standard HTML viewable content (if you view flash or java scripts, they are invisible to robots/spiders), it is a good idea to have your site hosted in the US. Most countries offer cheap services.
- Most spiders, looking for fresh content, heavily rely on your title tags, heading tags, and your site content to figure out what your site is about. If you follow this basic formula you should be well on your way to strong optimized site. (If you have strong keywords and some pull typing in your text, this will come in handy though)
- Use the meta keyword tag and meta description tag. Use these tags wisely, but remember that you will never rank well without them. This is where you tell the spiders about your site, basically setting it up in terms of what you want it to be. When people search for your site, that information is pulled straight up on the search engine results page. This is where you want to have your best keywords. This is where you want to get the traffic to your site.
- Keep your site clean, uncluttered, and easy to navigate. There’s nothing worse than visiting a site where everything is done by pictures and very little is actually written.
The Spiders love text. Keep the writing at a .4-scribble level. When you write the text for your site, tell the spiders and the robots what your site is about by using the keywords you have picked. Sprinkle your keywords throughout the page, but don’t make it overkill. If you have paid ads on your site, make sure that the ads make sense in the text and match with the overall subject of your site.
The key here is relevancy. Think of your keywords, synonyms and variations people will use come up with as search terms. Use related words and phrases. Also, think of different ways people could represent your keywords. If you are an engine service provider, think of the words that relate to the words you have picked, other than the obvious.
- Make a list of all different types of media available to you. Plugging them in to your site won’t be expensive. Basic video hosting sites will permit you to do so, as will some of the other more advanced ones. If you are using pictures, make sure that you label the pictures with your keywords. While spiders can’t see the pictures, they can read what the pictures are about.
- When you have completed this step, begin accumulating links back to your site. There are several methods you can use to start this off, even if you decide to give it a name like “link building”, “Inbound Marketing”, or “Link Generation”. Start putting up links to just your site or sites like it at places like ” Fundamental Search Engine June web site submission” or “Commerce Bots News blog”. When you have done this, you will have links coming in to your site from every site on the internet!
- If this sounds too hard, Google will provide a link. First, you will need someone to link to your site. If you can’t get inbound links from related sites, you might have to work harder. Try contacting your friends, family,plingine, or partners. strangers that know each others names and descriptions can easily put each other in setting up for inbound links.
Another great alternative to this, if you aren’t lucky enough to secure a blog or some other type of site with tons of inbound links. Create your own Google knol. This is a page containing informative, brief content with a link back to your site. There are many possible uses for a blog, I would suggest either starting your own (or) taking advantage of someone else’s.
- Start your own blog, and add links to each post. Blogs are a great way to utilize all the time you spend working on your SEO writing. More time you can spend writing, the more success you will have with SEO. posting, I will note is another alternative to doing your own promoting, I will also note the time you spend on this will be valuable.
- Links can be bought! I have seen a lot of talk about this, but if you can afford it, I recommend you do it. Traffic is buying these days and if you are paying for any type of site, you are getting a lot of traffic.